Come and join the second part of the UPC litigation webinar "On the road: how to finetune your strategy while driving the UPC-wagon", organized by the LESI Dispute Resolution Committtee, taking place on 15 March 2023, 1:00pm – 2:30pm CET.
While the first part – which was a huge success with about 65 participants – was the “starting dive” into the waters of the upcoming UPC system, we will dive deeper in the second part.
We have a highly exclusive panel of speakers:
- Cecile Teles, Head Patent Attorney at Zentiva
- Alexander Haertel, Cluster Lead Patents at Deutsche Telekom
- Marleen van den Horst, patent lawyer and partner at La Gro Geelkerken Advocaten
and as cherries on the top, two UPC judges:
- Peter Tochtermann from Germany (local division Mannheim)
- Camille Lignieres from France (local divison Paris)
The themes of the panel will be:
1. Strategies for patent owners (plaintiffs in infringement proceedings, defendants in nullity proceedings):
- Strategically choosing the “right” local or regional division, depending on the specifics of the case
- Using procedural “specialities” as the Saisie in order to gain knowledge about an infringement
2. Strategies for opponents of patent owners:
- “Torpedo” possibilities?
- How to deal best with “troll” attacks?
- How to best argue a reduction of proceedings costs
3. Procedural topics:
- Nullity counterclaim: will local divisions decide by themselves or bifurcate to central division?
- Will the UPC be able to fulfil the timeline promise?
- In which cases no injunction despite infringement (“may” – discrection/proportionality – Ebay?, consider Arguments for/against proportionality in light of injunctions)
- If injunction is granted: security to be imposed?
- Higher security because of European-wide injunction?
- Different national approaches?
- If injunction is lifted: Bayer/Richter? (i.e., no compensation in case defendant not having acted as may generally be expected in order to avoid or mitigate his loss)
This event is free to participants.